Sunday, November 24, 2013

Post #24: Persistence Finally Pays Off

Crazy. Task Master. Mean. Irritating. Scary. If there's a demeaning synonym for 'Persistent', I've probably been called it, both to my face and behind my back. Three years ago, that really bothered me, but now, I really don't care what other people think. I'm still aware, and I try to make sure that I am not being rude, but what other students think of me isn't a big deal anymore. What is a big deal, however, is making sure that what I need done gets done. If that means I have to beat people over the head (figuratively, of course) about getting things done, that's fine. They can hate me and be resentful, but stuff gets done.
The Capstone project has been a very large thorn in my side. I have gone through three theoretical projects and pretty much all of them have not worked out. My latest failed project, Police Explorers, required that I participate in 60+ hours of additional community service, plus a four-day camp at a local military base, and because I am planning on going out-of-state for my higher education, I won't be able to participate for the full year, which means I won't qualify for the program's competitions and awards. And that's fine. Because I'm not going to lie, I really just wanted to shoot a gun once or twice at the target thing, and ride around in a police car and learn some protocols and demonstrate my knowledge of ten-code. Shallow, I know.
On Friday, I went to talk to a community liaison who is teaching the EMT class at my school just to check in about the EMS class I'm taking to see where we are concerning state certification. Long story short: We're now a state approved class. He is going to oversee the forty hours next semester, and I'm going to get certification, along with anyone else who is 16.
The community liaison said that because I continued "bird-dogging" (his word) about the class that: one, getting the state number for the class was accomplished and two, I have left a legacy for future students. From what I gathered, as long as the class is offered to students, the state will certify those students as first responders.
My persistence paid off not only for myself, but for future students at my school. And that's a cool feeling to know that my "craziness" has affected many people in a positive way. And now I have a senior project that is going to work out, and is fairly contained.
"If you can't change yourself, then change your world." - The The
D

No comments:

Post a Comment