Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Post #25: Experimenting With Things Beyond One's Understanding

Today, Mr. Frankenstein created his creature. He did not yell "it's alive! It's alive!" At the top of his lungs. In fact, he was horrified and disgusted and then he passed out. It was pretty anticlimactic. We talked about the tone of the passage and we are going to eventually (hopefully) talk about theme at the same length. I think the most important theme is the idea that you shouldn't screw around with crap meant to be left alone. However, that does not sound even remotely academic, at all. And that's fine. Right now I'm brainstorming and that idea is at the center of my idea web. I like idea webs, even though Mr. Burge thinks that they are silly. They help me see all of my ideas at once, so I can process relations and similarities. I love idea webs and lists. So, I dug out my thesaurus and started looking up synonyms. I eventually came up with: experimenting with things beyond one's understanding often leads to undesired and unexpected consequences. I think it's a solid statement of theme to start working with. Obviously it needs work, but it's a start. I love working on statements of theme. I understand what something is about. I can pick up on those nuances and whatnot. I love constructing statements of theme. Their structure is so much different than the way I would normally write, much less speak. That's why they're fun. It's a change from the way I would normally think about word order. It's a challenge. Challenges are fun.
"If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
D

1 comment: