Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Post #22: Frankie

So, we are starting Frankenstein and we need to be familiar with Bible stories so we can recognize and analyze the references. I recently found all of my bible notes from my East of Eden project, and I have been letting my sister use them for her studies. I went back and reread some of them…
Some are pretty snarky. But, I understand and remember each story. My notes about Job are sort of funny: “Job is a good guy. One day, Satan comes and visits God and says: ‘Job is only good because you gave him so much.’ So God gives Satan power over Job to Satan, but says he can only go against his stuff. Satan says ‘cool.’ Job loses all of his possessions and his kids die. Job still praises God…”
The Job notes continue for nine more index cards. But, I have found these notes help me to understand and remember what the stories are about.  There’s only so much you can learn from Jesus Christ Superstar and Supernatural.
But, I really do enjoy many of the Bible stories. And the New Testament has some good stuff. I can get behind most of the teachings of Jesus.  I am really looking forward to reading Frankenstein and making connections not only to Bible stories, but to Greek and Roman mythology, Shakespeare, and Milton’s Paradise Lost.

I love discussing literature. I love to read. I’m really looking forward to reading something new and something that isn't Shakespeare. (Sorry Hamlet).
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment