Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Post #23: The Dangers of Obsolete Technology

So, I have a Polaroid Instamatic camera that belonged to my late Grandfather. For the holidays this year, I want to document each day in December with a single picture and compile a scrapbook with those pictures and whatnot.
I just paid an ungodly amount of money for some Polaroid 600 instant film. I got five packs of ten photos. This was the cheapest set I could find, as some of the SINGLE packs of ten cost upwards of $45 each. Now, I understand that no one has used an instamatic for a long time, and all of the film is expired, but I figured that since the film that had been in the camera had been okay, surely the expiration date couldn't mean that much.
So, for my Mom’s birthday last Sunday, I loaded in one of the cartridges and took it to the party. I was only planning on taking a few pictures, no more than two or three, However, the film was damaged and all of the photos looked like this:

All I got was a little hump. 
So, my Uncle, who was in town for my mom’s birthday, told me to just use up the whole pack, and that is exactly what we did. I had everyone fill out the rest of the photo, building on the little hump.

That one is mine. The one previous is by my Grandma. 
I really hope the rest of them turn out and none of the other film is damaged. On the bright side, my Uncle made a really good slow cooker dinner with chicken and garlic and quinoa.
May your photos turn out better than mine.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment