Sunday, November 3, 2013

Post #18: College (Pricing Is Not) Fair

I went to the college fair today at UNR. Then I came home and lied on my floor for a while. Some of the schools were fifty thousand a year. That's two hundred thousand dollars for a bachelor's. Yikes. Education is important, but 200k? Really? Even with the scholarships and whatnot, who could afford that without landing in mountains of debt?! Not me, that's for sure.
As I look at the piles of college information scattered on my bed, I am compelled to just lie on the floor some more. Some days I'm really excited for college and I can't wait to graduate and start a new chapter in my life. Other days, I just want to lie on my floor and not get up.  I will be one of the first couple of people in my immediate family to go to college. My Grandpa went to college, as did my Mom and my Uncle, but most of the rest of my extended family went right into their careers.
I want to got to college! I want to get that degree in Creative Writing and/or Criminal Justice! I want to do things! But I also want to lie on my floor for the rest of my life. Mr. Burge said we would be continually hit with the two-by-four that is our future, and I've been trying to dodge it as much as possible, but it's exhausting.
The career expo next door was a lot more helpful. There was a law enforcement table with packets for the local police explorers program! I think that might be my capstone now. I think I want to be a police officer. Or a paramedic. And a writer. And a princess.

Worse comes to worst, I'll get along. - Billy Joel

D

1 comment:

  1. My mom is the smartest woman I know... just look at the books she has read!

    My degree taught me that just showing up for life/class is more than the rest of the people do. The ones who told me I would never make it out of high school, out of Boot Camp, out of the Marines, out of college, out in the work force... they all have their own worries,.. so i don't have to worry about them, and neither should you. Live life with gusto! Go to college, read the books that are stuffed to the brim on the shelves..go lay in the Quad and day dream, say to others "you have seen what others wish they had seen" in real life in your own writings and in a book... lay on the floor and think about things, be not afraid to write the words so few dare to share...dodge that "2x4" because the pen is mightier! Choose ALL the things you want to do and do them.... this is what makes learning and life fun.

    “You can’t learn to write in college. It’s a very bad place for writers because the teachers always think they know more than you do—and they don’t. They have prejudices. They may like Henry James, but what if you don’t want to write like Henry James? They may like John Irving, for instance, who’s the bore of all time. A lot of the people whose work they’ve taught in the schools for the last thirty years, I can’t understand why people read them and why they are taught. The library, on the other hand, has no biases. The information is all there for you to interpret. You don’t have someone telling you what to think. You discover it for yourself.”
    ― Ray Bradbury

    ReplyDelete