Friday, November 8, 2013

Post #19: Mixtapes

So, this week, I learned a that a really close friend of mine had never had a mixtape/compdisc (compdisc is short for Compilation Disc) made for her. This mad me sad, mostly because I was raised on a healthy diet of classic late night TV, books, and mixtapes/compdiscs. I recently found all of the mixtapes my Mom's best friend made her in high school and I've been working through them. There's some awesome stuff on there, like this song by the B-52's. And there's something about the way cassette tapes sound that is so exciting for me. It's not the warm sound that comes from vinyl, but a noise that sometimes sounds like it's going to get eaten and warped and give out. It's a good noise. A scary one, but fun nonetheless.
I think that we often see compdiscs as something you would make for your significant other, but I think that they should be made for anyone you love.
My mom used to make them for my Uncle and Grandpa, and vice versa. I love mixtapes. I love music. Compdics are an easy way to share that love with the people I love. My friend likes country music, so I put some Randy Travis on there, but the rest of the songs are total 80's awesomeness.
Her gratitude and excitement for the compdisc this morning made my heart happy. I hope she loves (or at least kind of likes) all of the songs. I tried to keep it basic. There's nothing too weird on there. Most of the songs are fairly mainstream. I hope. I think my view might be a little skewed.

Thank you to all who have served to protect our freedom.

-D.


No comments:

Post a Comment