Monday, October 28, 2013

Post #16: Professional?

As I work my way through my capstone project, I am required to work with adults. That's all fine and dandy, but the way I have been treated lately by these community members is starting to become less than professional.
While I understand that events can happen that warrant more attention than a senior project, unless you're dead, there is no real reason why you can't text, email, call etc. someone to let them know you can't meet with them.
I sat in the lobby for thirty minutes after the meeting had already been postponed (not by me) from the previous day only to have another member of the Sparks Police Department tell me that I would be contacted "later" by my contact. I have not them from them since last Monday.
Not a "sorry I couldn't make it" or a "when can we reschedule" or even an "I don't think this is going to work".
Nada.
If I had been the one not to show up or not contacted, I would have been held responsible for a lack of professionalism and my opportunity to work with an organization would be taken away.
But when an adult behaves this way to a student, there are no consequences. I am only a student. I do not warrant the respect or courtesy given to other "professionals".
I am upset that as a student I am treated this way. Until I have proven that I am or am not professional, I deserve the courtesy that would be given to any prospective community partner.
When did it become okay for "professionals" to disregard my time, let alone anyone else's time?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

D

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to read about this D,
    It is very frustrating to waste time trying so hard... it is what makes life challenging to say the least... you will find this happens all the time as you get older... the doctors/dentist visits, the car repair shop, the teachers aid who doesn't hold "real" office hours, the guy who cuts in front of line... but I will tell you this, when these people figure out that half of life is just showing up and they look back and really understand that they missed it... you will be the person who will still have a bit of time to tell them you are sorry they missed the point, and that sharing a few moments with someone who wants to listen and learn, is far more important than beating everyone at the rat race.
    WRD

    ReplyDelete