Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Post #15: VEGAS BABY!

I went to Las Vegas last week for a memorial tailgate for my Grandpa the weekend before last. UNLV played Hawai'i and won with a field goal in the last 5 seconds of the game, 39-37. It was a pretty exciting first game. But the whole weekend was filled with sad, silly, and weird moments. And a little bit of crying.
I get a lot of crap for supporting UNLV, but even my Uncle, who went to UNR, roots for UNLV when the two schools play for the Cannon (the one UNLV is gonna take back on Saturday). My Grandpa was "an original rebel", and was on the first UNLV football team in 1968.
Don't believe me? Willie Davison, #66

That's him.

Anyways, it was a really fun time, and stories were shared, hugs given, and I spent some time with family I don't often see.
I also got to hang out in the NV Highway Patrol RV, which was beyond awesome.
On Sunday, we got to tour the UNLV football locker room, which was a mess, and see where the team trains. I also got a drive-by tour of the campus, which was cool and scary all at the same time.
And it was warm in Vegas. That was really nice.
My favorite story was about how my second cousin (who is an adult with a family now) used to torture his little sister (who was about 4) when he was a teenager with the intercom system they had in their home when they were kids by saying "The witch is going to get you! I'm the witch and I'm going to get you!" much to the amusement of my also teen-aged Mom. His sister did not understand where the voice was coming from, and being four, was scared out of her mind.
After my Mom told this story, we discovered that my Uncle Buck has an intercom system between his house and the guest house where we were staying, and spent a good deal of the night in paranoid fear that "the witch" was going to scare the crap out of us.

UNLV GO! FIGHT! WIN!
Go Rebels!

D
Update: UNLV won the game, 27-22. The cannon is headed South! 10-26-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment