Sunday, September 22, 2013

Post #7: The Whole Fam-damn-ily

A big dynamic in Hamlet is the family relations throughout the play. Hamlet and his dead father, Hamlet and his Mother-Aunt, Hamlet and his Uncle-Dad, Laertes and his sister Ophelia, and Polonius and his kids Laertes and Ophelia, to name a few.
I have had all five of my Great Uncles and one Great Aunt, along with their respective spouses in town this weekend for my Grandpa's memorial. Plus two Cousins, my Great Grandma, Aunt and Uncle, all on my Grandma's side, and on Grandpa's side, Great Uncle Buck, and some more Cousins.
It's been crazy. But it's also been really nice. I haven't seen most of these people in years, and I love a loud household. Granted, I don't really want seven kids like Great Grandma, but it definitely is a blast.
As we start Hamlet, I am reminded how blessed I am where family is concerned. We will all be the first to admit we are completely dysfunctional. One my Great Uncles this weekend said "that Duck family ain't got nothing on us!" I think he was referencing that reality TV family, but I don't have cable, so I'm not sure.
And he's right. But on the bright side, there are no Sister-Wives or Uncle-Dads in our family, as far as I'm aware. On my Grandma's side, there are over 70 cousins (seven kids will do that). We don't always agree, but we are always there for each other. I can't tell you with much accuracy which kid belongs to which parent or who just had a baby, but I can tell you that everyone in this family is loved.

Also- Fam-damn-ily comes from my Grandpa Jim. I give credit where credit is due.

Well, that's the news from Lake Woebegone, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

D


No comments:

Post a Comment