Sunday, September 8, 2013

Post #3: Death in the Opposite House

Last week we read "There's been a Death, in the Opposite House" by Emily Dickinson. It talked about how people find out that someone has died in a "Country Town". The neighbors "intuitively" know someone has died across the street.
That's not how it works anymore. Believe me, I know. I am spending my birthday dealing with it. Now, you can't just throw a mattress out onto the street. People don't really "intuitively" know anymore. Now we read the obituaries in the paper or online. Now you have to make phone call after phone call and repeat the news. People call you. Telephones are constantly in use. My Mom and Grandma have probably spent more time dialing phone numbers this weekend than they have in the past month.
 My Grandpa had a stroke Saturday morning. I am not writing this as an 'O Woe is me' post or to illicit an empathy grade. I'm writing this because I am not sure what else to write about. I had never been in an ICU before yesterday, and let me tell you, they are depressing places. The curtains are hideous. It is not like what I see on TV. Two of the nurses had full sleeves of tattoos.
I was not planning on spending my sweet sixteen this way, but one thing's for sure, it's been a hell of a weekend, and it sure won't be a birthday I'll forget.
Hug those you love, tell people you appreciate them and love them.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment