Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Post #49: Morse, Enchanted, and Vanity Copies

There is large hole in my heart left by the Masterpiece: Mystery! series Inspector Lewis, or rather, the end of the series. I loved watching Hathaway try not to run circles around Lewis intellectually while he chain smoked, and Lewis shake his head at people. The score was super great, and I love solving the mystery!
And then bam! It's over. I never went back and watched Inspector Morse, which Inspector Lewis is a spin off of. I have it in my netflix queue, but I decided since there was no more Lewis, I should catch up on Endeavour, which is the prequel to Inspector Morse and is returning this June on Masterpiece.
It has filled the hole in my heart. I am on a 1960's Great Britain kick, and this fits in so nicely. It's set in mid-sixties Oxford, and the score is composed by none other than Barrington Pheloung, who also composed for Inspector Lewis and Inspector Morse.
I got Enchanted from the library, and let me tell you, I think that it is one of the best Disney movies of all time. Seriously. Not only does it have James Marsden, we learn that maybe it is not such a great idea to marry someone you've just met, and there are big musical numbers and it's super funny and cute. I want to have a big musical number with singing and dancing and clapping and snapping and general joy and magic. I would also very much like for small rodents and other assorted creatures to do my housework.
Mr. Burge recently found some copies of Catch-22 that last years seniors left behind. These are nice, 50th anniversary copies. Burge asked if anyone wanted one, and I said if there's one without too much writing in it, I'd take it. He found one in nearly pristine condition for me. I got asked "don't you already have a copy?" later that day. I do. But that copy is held together by packing tape and is highlighted to high heaven. It's an annotated copy. I like to have a vanity copy as well. I have one for East of Eden as well. One copy has my scribley notes and highlights, and one copy is the fancy centennial edition. I like to have a copy to read without puzzling over why I wrote something or doodled a dead cat in the margins.
"I guess this makes you the damsel in distress, huh, handsome?" - Enchanted
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment