Monday, April 28, 2014

Post #48: Lost in the Darkness

Never in my life has a book left me wondering what the heck just happened, even though I totally understood what happened. Until Heart of Darkness. So they got attacked and the guy died, and Marlow has to get his shoes off? Right, I got that. But why am I still so darn confused? And then he finds Kurtz and Kurtz dies so Marlow goes to talk to the widow? Why is he even telling this story to the guys on the boats? Why hasn't someone said "shut up, I wanna play dominoes. No one cares about your FUBB trip up the river."
 I even watched Apocalypse Now in hopes of it being put into an adapted, different point of view. Nearly three hours later, I am even more confused. Cowboy Curtis died, and they're in Vietnam and Han Solo and the Doors are there? What? And then Stanley gets brutally murdered by Queenan? Back up. I'm so lost. Burge keeps saying that we aren't supposed to understand the book because it's a juxtaposition, but that doesn't make me feel any better. Am I just supposed to let it wash over me in waves of arrows and fog and explosions? I feel like I'm lost in the white fog.
Mr. Burge says we can use this on the AP test, if it fits the prompt, but I don't think that's going to work unless the prompt says "Write a well organized essay about a book that made no sense and left you feeling confused, dumb, and a little uncomfortable." Because I could make that work.
"This is the end, beautiful friend." - The Doors
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment