Monday, April 14, 2014

Post #47: Captain America: The Winter Soldier MOVIE EDITION

 THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT THE MOVIE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
The first words out of my mouth after the final post credits scene were: wait, what? I was worried about Bucky, but now I'm worried about the Maximoffs, and their "Miracle Powers" (because we can't say mutant.). Where was Falcon's suit? Who was agent 13, besides not Sharon Carter?
I enjoyed the movie overall, however. I liked the Nick Fury twist, The scene at base in New Jersey scared the crap out of me, oh, and Hail, Hydra! I really loved that this movie was more of a political thriller than a shoot-em-up-Cap-and-Black-Widow-kick-everyone's-butt movie. It made the fight scenes much more impacting and fun. I love love  LOVE that they had Gary Sinise do the voice over for the Smithsonian. It added a nice layer of reality to the movie (If you didn't know, Gary Sinise is very active in doing voice overs for military advertising, VA advertising, and hosts the Memorial Day Sobfest Special on PBS every year). I think they did well with Bucky's back story as the Winter Soldier.
I had an...interesting encounter with some acquaintances of the friend I went with when we went to Target and I told them I was sad that they hadn't used any of the original back story, but I understood why they changed things, because I don't think they would really want to touch the Civil War saga, and also, who could possibly play Deadpool? The man looked at me over his glasses and said "Us purists know the truth. We are the nerds. I believe they will, especially because Chris Evans is only signed on for two more movies after Age of Ultron."
The words 'purists' and 'nerds' make me uncomfortable. I prefer Geek, because, yes, there is big difference between Geeks and Nerds (this is a good article about the differences). And also no one is a "purist" when it comes to Marvel, or DC. I don't know anyone who has ONLY read the comics and never watched a movie or a tv show. And also, I don't claim to have read a ton of comics. I read the ones that look good, and I really specialize more in X-Men. And there are over 75 years worth of comics to get through (both Marvel and DC).
IMAX is not worth seventeen dollars. Especially because you can't switch seats if you end up next to a talker. And also, I was not impressed by the 3D IMAX magic. It was not magic, and if I didn't look at the screen right, the image wasn't in 3D, it was in the pre-glasses double vision.
"Comics are a gateway drug to literacy." - Art Spiegelman
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment