Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Post #33: Capstone Update

EMR is one of the coolest classes I have ever taken. Ever. I am super excited to get my first responder certification. Last Friday I got to see the inside of an ambulance for the first time, and I got to be the patient on the gurney. Those things are neato! They have all sorts of buttons and hydraulic features. We also got to practice using a stair chair. I discovered I don't have much upper body strength, but I have good lower body strength, and I'm in okay shape. We start patient assessment tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. The only downside is trying to keep my hair out of the way. We do a lot of hand on work, and if you're the patient, it means you are lying on the floor, and ponytails, while convenient, are not that comfortable if you're lying down. And also, hair easily gets pulled and caught when you're being lifted, moved, and put into cervical collars. So, I'm working on figuring that out, because let me tell you, I have a lot of hair.
On the Poetry Front, I've about had it with the Perrine's book. I really like poetry, but I like to read it and discuss it, not answer questions about it. I want to experience it and enjoy it, like the class did on Friday when we just watched poetry be preformed. Perrine's makes poetry seem like a chore, and it shouldn't be. I can't wait until we go back to novels.Heck, I'd rather do multiple choice questions.
"The winds of change, they blow in my direction" - Fitz and the Tantrums
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment