Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Post #52: Into The Why the Heck Can't You Make Better Choices

We still have to do things in English, so in addition to our portfolios, we are reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer. 
I don't like camping. At all. I enjoy nature, but I also enjoy running water and my own bed. I like hiking and gardening, but no camping. But hey, there's a dead guy and a writer trying to figure out what's going on! It sounds awesome, right? WRONG. 
Basically Chris/Alex decides "hey, I'm going to go live off the land in Alaska without any of the right equipment because I want to be like Jack London!" And then he dies and Krakauer finds "Vague, unsettling parallels" in their lives and retraces his steps. I'm 60 pages in and I hate it. This guy is just one questionable decision after another. And I'm fed up with all of the political rambling of the letters and whatnot from Chris/Alex. Sometimes he says something deep and profound, like "the joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences," and then there is a bunch of anti-government, pseudo-hermit mumbo-jumbo. And Jon Krakauer isn't much better. He seems to have reverence for Alex/Chris and his bad decisions. 
And we are watching the movie at the same time. The best part thus far has been the Eddie Vedder soundtrack. I would love to Mystery Science Theater 3000 this movie, but alas, we are watching it as a group so that's a no-go. 
"Stop Whining and find something to do." - Dowager Countess, Downton Abbey
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment