Thursday, March 13, 2014

Post #42: Graduation Speeches

I'm not sure how I feel about graduation speeches. Part of me really, really, really wants to speak at graduation, and then another part of me just says "this is total crap". "look back on high school!" "you're going to miss it!" "You're going to miss your classmates!" 
Yeah, how about no. I'm not going to miss high school. Seriously. I might miss my English class, and that's about it. I'm proud of coming from my school, because my school kicks butt! But I'm also really glad to get on with my life. My favorite speeches thus far have been the ones about looking forward and finding happiness. Not looking back on the "fun" times in computer literacy. When in doubt... 
It's important to look back on one's history and learn from the past, but let's move forward. 
Changing gears: 1984 was terrible. The ending made me want to chuck the book across the room. (If you have not read 1984, I'm going to talk about spoilers, so maybe go read a different blog.)
So, Winston sneaks around, but then O'Brien is actually a bad guy, and then they get brainwashed? What? I get the part about how we should be careful because big brother is watching and the government is taking control.I get that. I see why that's important. But really, brainwashing? 
I thought we were going to learn that humans are resilient and can stick it to the man and all that jazz. Instead we learned that humans are weak and need to be controlled and if we aren't careful we're going to be slaves to the government. 
Make good choices
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment