Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Post #41: Why I hate The Word Hipster

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you probably noticed I like The Smiths. If you know me in real life, you probably know I L-O-V-E the Smiths. I'm into some indie bands, and I love vinyl records. Which of course, has earned me the label 'hipster'.
The Merriam Webster definition of 'hipster' is "A person who is unusually aware of and interested in new and unconventional patterns (as in Jazz or fashion); A hip person." It's a term from 1940.
Generally, I love being told my tastes are awesome and cool and avant garde. I love being able to discuss why Everything All The Time is the worst Band of Horses album and why everyone should appreciate Glen Miller. But as soon as I mention any of these things with any enthusiasm, there comes that word. Hipster. "God, you're such a hipster" spat at me as if I just kicked someone's puppy.  Sorry I have eclectic tastes. Is there a reason you have to call me something derogatory because I don't listen to whatever it is you listen to?
In the endless bullying seminars and flyers and videos I have seen because I'm in school, there's always that idea that the bully is bullying someone because they're insecure. I'm sorry my music tastes make you feel insecure. I can say with 100% sincerity that my intention was never to make you feel bad about yourself. My intention was to enjoy music and share it with you. Honest.
But then you bring out the H word. You make fun of my tastes because they're different from yours. Because you associate my tastes with people who drink lots of expensive coffee and take pictures of mediocre sunsets. I do drink a ton of coffee, and I like sunsets at much as the next gal, but that shouldn't matter when we are discussing music. It shouldn't matter unless we are discussing coffee or sunsets.
"Don't worry we'll all float on" - Modest Mouse
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment