Sunday, July 5, 2015

Post #77: Some Thoughts on Patriotism and Respect

Last night was both my third favorite and least favorite holiday of the year. My third favorite (behind Thanksgiving and Halloween) because Patriotism and America and I am blessed and proud to live in this country and Fireworks and Hot Dogs! Yay! My least favorite because it seems to bring out the most disrespectful people into the greater public. Me and my peoples have gone up to a church parking lot up on a hill with a great view of the fireworks for quite a few years now. We have never had a bad experience there in all the years we have been going, until last night.
To the owner of the maroon Jeep with license plate "PYIT4WD" and 'Coexist' tire cover and your friends: It's sad that you couldn't 'pay forward'  some respect last night. I am disgusted by your blatant disrespect to your nation, the national anthem, and the families around you trying to enjoy The Fourth of July. To drop F-bombs and have a water bottle fight complete with screaming and obscenities while everyone around you tried to observe a moment of silence for our men and women in uniform and then listen/sing along as our national anthem was played shows that you don't live by the words on your license plate. You live only for yourselves. You and your friends demonstrated no gratitude whatsoever, certainly not for the men and women who fought and died to protect your freedom to act like such assholes.
There is no good karma coming to those who feel it is acceptable to act in such a way.
Barring those people, I had a fun time last night! My best friend and I had a dance-off with the kids in the house behind the parking lot who were sitting on their deck. I think they were making fun of us, but we caught them and then it just turned into a dance-off. I did a couple of Herkies (sort of) and had a fun time being with people I loved and being grateful for the freedom to do these things. And I only cried a little when they played "God Bless The USA".

I Tried.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." - John Wayne
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment