Friday, May 29, 2015

Post #74: This is the Dawning of the Age of Summer Television

Last night saw the two-hour (or two-epsiode, depending on how you see it) premeire of Aquarius on NBC. If you're not caught up/planning to watch, go watch and then come back. Also- I'm not planning on bingeing on NBC, I'm going to watch week-to-week, so all future blog posts will reflect that.
Okay. So I think this show has potential on the disturbing crime drama bandwagon. It's got an interesting, albeit mostly fictional, plot, enough drama to keep the show rolling, and David Duchovny as...Fox Mulder. So it's a crazy psycho killer and not aliens. Whatever. Duchovny is playing Hodiak, a cynical LA detective with a new, relatively idealistic, super-cute partner (Grey Damon as Brian Shafe). Mulder Hodiak accepts a case that isn't really a case, when he gets called by an old girlfriend. Help my daughter has been taken by aliens Charles Manson! Duchovny plays Hodiak the same way he played Mulder, and it's a shame, because it's really the only glaring issue with the show. Brian Shafe is a: really cute, even when he's a grimy, scruffy undercover cop; and b: an interesting character. He is a great foil to the other officers as well as the rapidly changing world in wich he lives in. He's a great blend of by the books ("You gotta read him his rights...The Miranda rights.") and standing for what is right even when it's pits him against senior officers. I also really like Charmain Tully, the female officer in the ridiculous 1960's female cop uniform of a below-the-knee skirt and heels. Because that's practical. She's a great character too. She's really idealistic and super sassy ("you were on drugs! You're still on drugs!"). I like the Shafe-Tully relationship right now, especially because Shafe has a wife and (hopefully) Shafe and Tully can just be professional friends. Shafe's wife is also an interesting plot point. I won't spoil that one. I will spoil Hodiak's crazy wife and now AWOL from the army son. I think that the son is going to cause trouble for Hodiak's career. And if he doesn't, the wife will. All in all, a good kick off for my summer TV season.
I also went and saw Hot Pursuit. It was pretty silly. If you like cheesy cop comedies, this one's pretty good.
Tomorrow is the homeschool prom, and I'm not one to pass up a chance to dance. I've had a fun/terrible time putting together an outfit for this thing! It's tropical theme, and I'm not super into tropical anything unless it's a frozen drink, so I decided to channel Summer Roberts from The O.C. circa season three. I found a super cute floral dress that's not too casual and not too formal, so I'm pleased with that. 
"I dress to kill, but tastefully." - Freddie Mercury
-D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment