Sunday, May 10, 2015

Post #72: Finally, Summer!

As of the the thirteenth, I will have finished my first year of college! Yay! It's been a pretty decent year, and I can't wait for next year, mostly because my class lineup is way better than this year's.
Maybe it's because my classes are all lower level, or maybe it's because I took AP classes and I'm pretty good at taking tests, but I just don't feel the pressure some of my classmates are feeling concerning finals week. There are so many kids either sleeping wherever they aren't going to get stepped on or crying. So much crying. Maybe it's just my finals. For Creative Writing, we just had to bring in a poem to read to the class. I performed "Direct Orders" by Anis Mojgani. And I mean performed. I can command a room when I need to. "Direct Orders" has been my favorite ever since Mr. Burge showed it to us my freshman year of high school right before Thanksgiving. Every time I listen to it or read it, I find something new that speaks to me, similar to the way the Schweddy Balls skit on SNL gets funnier every year. I'll admit I had to pause to take a deep breath after I read the line "rock out like your dead grandfather has just come back to take a drive with you in your new car."
With the advent of summer, there also comes the inevitable end of my favorite shows. Gotham ended last week, and it was by far my favorite show this season, followed closely by The Goldbergs. The Chicagos finish up in the next couple of weeks, and I think there's a few more episodes left of The Night Shift (I know, I know, it's bad. But it's so bad it's good. I love it.). This summer's lineup is pretty good. Graceland, Dominion, and The Last Ship come backin the next couple of months, and I'm looking forward to Aquarius on NBC. I also recently started The Following and let me tell you, that show is intense! The season one cliffhanger was crazy! And of course, there's still Masterpiece on PBS. I'm looking forward to Poldark and the WWI medical drama.
The movie lineup for this summer is pretty okay. I saw the latest Avengers movie last week, and it was really good. I want to go see Slow West, Jurrasic World, Pan, Fantastic 4, and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Aw yes Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer!). And most of all, I want to go see Mad Max. I am so excited for it! Tom Hardy as Max? I think yes! And one of the trailers had "Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem!
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." - Marcus Aurelius
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment