Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Post #61: The End's Not Near, It's Here

As summer draws to a close, I look back at the past three months and I ask myself like I do every year, what did I do with my life for the past three months besides watch TV? Honestly, not much. I got my First Responder cert (sort of), I got crafty, and I placed 21st at Nationals. I didn't read nearly as much as I had wanted to, at least not books. I read a bunch of Batman Comics, but the only "books" I read were War, by Sebastian Junger, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith. I made it through two seasons each of The O.C., and  Justice League, and one season each of Fringe and The X-Files. Plus my live TV shows, Dominion, The Night Shift, Gang Related, Endeavour,  and Poirot (but let's be honest, summer seasons are like 10 episodes long, tops. so it's more like one and half seasons of the average TV show). I'm still working through Graceland and Last Ship. I narrowed my Halloween costume options down to two, either Black Canary or Suzy Bishop (from the Justice League and Moonrise Kingdom, respectively.) and I did end up going to the Lake, which was fun. But I'm still left feeling like I wasted my summer. Which is a little ridiculous. I went to Nationals for Pete's sake! And I'm now certified to put pressure on wounds and call 911 (that seriously sums up most of my abilities as a first responder)!
I'm ready to go back to doing things everyday. Too much free time drives me a little crazy. I need something to do besides laugh at the antic that is Wally West and make a squinty face at the questionable decisions of the Cooper Family.
With the advent of fall, also comes cooler weather (hopefully), my birthday, and better television programming. And back to school is my favorite time of year! New crayon smell is the best, and post-it notes and index cards are on sale! My two favorite things! My other favorite thing is lined paper, but I have been banned from buying that as I found nine unopened packs of lined paper plus a bazillion loose sheets, so I'll use those this year.
The title is from a song by The New Years, but I like the Band of Horses version better.

"it's such a waste to always look behind you, you should be looking straight ahead."- JET
-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment