Sunday, October 12, 2014

Post #66: Some Tips From Your Friendly Neighborhood First Responder

Big news! I am officially a Certified First Responder! Woot! I got my official certificate and card in the mail a couple weeks ago and I am super proud of myself. Mr. Mackey said I probably shouldn't share this fact with people, because then they will want my help, but I'm pretty sure that's why I got the cert, so I could help people. Also-if you want to ask me for medical help, please keep in mind that I can really only put pressure on stuff and call 9-1-1. And if it's not an emergency, I will most likely tell you to go to the doctor's.
I keep missing First Responder opportunities on campus by 5-10 minutes, and part of me is relieved, but the other, mildly terrible and easily excited part of me is disappointed. I HAVE A CERTIFICATION! LET ME HELP YOU!!! (But please don't get me sick).
 There have been two medical emergencies that I have encountered in the past couple of weeks. The fire dept./REMSA has had it all under control, but I noticed that crowd control was, well, not under control.
I'm going to get on my soapbox here, so be forewarned. 
Please don't stop and stare. Just don't. I know you're curious/concerned for the patient's well being. I get it. Stare as you walk by if you have to. But don't stop and crowd around. That makes the Responder's work harder, and it can make the patient feel uncomfortable or embarrassed. It's rude. I know you don't think that it's rude, and I know you have the patients best interests at heart, but just keep walking. My first responder text book says at least once per chapter "put yourself in the patient's shoes" or "consider how you would feel if you were in their position". I know it sounds corny, but it's a solid tip. How would YOU feel if you woke up on the ground surrounded by people in uniforms and curious onlookers?
And please don't tell the people around you that you "see this kind of thing all the time. It's not that big of a deal." (Somebody said this to me. I'm not joking.) Even if you do "see it all the time". REMSA/The Police Department/The Fire Department are in my condo complex all the time. I am still not used to it. It still makes me a little nervous. And it is a big deal. Even if it's just to the patient. My other favorite was "Well, you'd better get used to it. We're all Criminal Justice majors, so we'll be seeing this a lot." (This was the same person, after someone said something about being worried about the patient.) I don't care if I see this three times a day, every day. It's still a little unnerving. That's why emergency services pay counselors to be on call to talk to their employees. This isn't always stuff you get used to.
Don't do anything you're not willing to explain to the paramedics.
-D.

1 comment: